The Fair Use section of the copyright code reads as follows:
§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include —
(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.
With regards to this website’s use of the copyrighted works of AE911Truth:
(1) The purpose of this website is educational and critical. It is utterly non-profit. I solicit no donations for myself whatsoever. I refer any such monies be given to charities with which I have no business arrangements at all.
(2) The copyrighted works I reproduce are slideshows. Some slides are reproduced entirely as documentation, but the majority of reproduction is quotation of texts written by AE911Truth.
(3) I am restricting myself to reproduce 15 entire slides each of the various slideshows produced by AE911Truth. The current slideshow is at 542 slides (13 June 2008). That accounts for 2.8% of the current slideshow. All other reproductions will be limited to quotations.
(4) The copyrighted works of which I am reproducing small portions are available for free on the Internet. There is no detrimental effect I could have on their potential market value that has not already been inflicted by the copyright owners themselves. Indeed, my opposition may further strengthen the resolve of people inclined to purchase the copyrighted materials from the owners. A survey of the main spokesman’s own statistics for his speeches show that his audiences consist almost entirely of those both inclined and deeply committed to his point of view. There is little I or anyone else could say or do to separate this organization from its chosen market.
Furthermore, AE911Truth’s presentations themselves make use of much copyrighted work from various media organizations. They would be ill advised to make any legal maneuvers against this website’s minor reproduction of their materials when the vast majority of their “copyrighted” works consists of the copyrighted works of others.